Salesforce is used as a CRM (Customer Relationship Manager) tool which uses cloud-based technology helping the organization to generate leads and store data. Initially, data entry took time in Salesforce and clients complain of having lots of data entry work than focusing on key business strategy.
Salesforce has come up with multiple automated data entry solutions, which you need to, try and see the best fit for your organization. This article describes a few data importing tools and its features.
Data Loader is a free tool provided by Salesforce to import bulk amount of data. It can import around 5 million records. It also helps in scheduling loads, Insert, update, delete, export and export all. It can import from CSV files or from database connections. To use this you need to download it from APEX data loader. It provides 2 ways to
- User Interface: This is a wizard where the user can drag and drop and map the field. It saves your mapped fields.
- Command Line: Used during batch operations.
It’s available in Performance, Enterprise, Unlimited, Developer and Database.com editions.
- Import Wizard: Import Wizard free and used to update accounts, contacts, leads using record ID as a unique identifier. Its simplest tool for the salesperson and avoids duplicate data from being loaded. It loads from CSV files with 50,000 records. It does not save your mapping. It works for all editions of Salesforce.
- Excel Connector: This is a free tool an option for excel. This works on professional editions and above. It works in batches and moves data bi-directionally.
- DemandTools: This is not free they charge $5/month. It standardizes, verifies manipulates data and imports data. This is for windows only.
- Jitterbit Data Loader: This is easy to use allows import-export of data between flat files, databases, and Salesforce / force.com. It supports CURD operations, upsert, hard delete, and query and built loads.
- Dataloader.io: This is free and has a simple user interface. It imports, exports and deletes data in Salesforce. Fields are mapped using the auto mapping technique, avoids redundant work by pulling objects like ID. You can manage your API’s and integration in the cloud or using their hybrid any point platform.
- Informatics Cloud Data Loader: This is free and can easily sync with Salesforce objects and custom objects with CSV files and cloud storage. It’s a wizard with pre-built templates and on fly transformations. It helps to connect external apps with Salesforce org. Sensitive data can be secured using data masking.
- Lightning Flow: Provides declarative process automation. It is a 2-point-and-click automation tool.
- Process Builder: builds process for data
- Flow Builder: builds the flow of data
Lightning flow makes it easy to create a guided tutorial with screens. It sets up automation and task, can connect to external systems. You can reuse what you have built.
- Zapier: This app automates moving and copying data using workflow. Integrates with 600 apps.
Choosing the right automation tool
- Know where and how you get your data. Know the file format or the database field.
- Choose the tool which would allow you to map fields or do auto-mapping for you.
- If you are on windows and looking for good quick loading of data. Select the tool having user-friendly UI.
- The tool should have the ability to identify duplicate data.
- Allowing to reusing the workflows whenever need.
- In case data is in multiple databases. Study the tool or application in advance which would take care of data from multiple databases.
- Know your data from each field and the field types from the database. Data integrity must be maintained by the tool.
- Should be easy to integrate with other application of tools.
- For import and export in given format must be followed.
- Check if CRUD functionality are available in the tool.
- If needed tool must allow some type of scripting and coding to allow customization.
- Must maintain the integrity and quality of data.
- Securing the sensitive data which is most important for any business.
The success of business revolves around data and CRM’s are an expert in storing and maintaining the data. Since the leads and customers are high in number for any organization the data obtained is in large number. Considering the time and effort spend on data entry which is manual work, Salesforce has multiple tools which allow users to import and export with basic CRUD functionalities. Few tools even allow users to create workflows and process which can be scheduled and reused.
Invest your time to find the best tool. Choosing the correct tool for data automation is the key to invest less time in data entry and more on the growth of your organization.